Saturday, December 4, 2010

Killer Nightmares

     Have you ever had a nightmare? I believe most of you would agree if I say that nightmare can't hurt you but it can kill you. I had experienced a lot of nightmares and the one last night was just one of them. I don't know how to explain it but I was so afraid and almost lost my breath. I thought I would die. You know what, at one point I thought I was already awaken only to find out that I was fallen to a deeper sleep. When it happened, I tried to shout to catch my husband's attention who was busy surfing the net. Yes, I can see him still awaken and in front of the computer but when I tried to scream, no voice would come out from my throat. I panicked because I wasn't able to move my hands and legs, as if I was frozen. Then slowly I felt electricity rushing from my toe towards the upper part of my body. My subconscious mind told me that I was just dreaming and I started to pray "I believe in God, the Father Almighty..." until that strange feeling went away and I was really awaken. Because of what happened my husband shut down the pc and calmed me down. HIs comfort put me back to sleep and until this morning, I had no more nightmares. I thank God as I am still alive and I thank Him because I don’t have any heart-related disease because if I do, I might have gotten a heart attack.

     By the way, let’s talk about what nightmare means. Wikipedia defines nightmare as a dream that can cause a strong negative emotional response from the sleeper, typically fear and/or horror. The dream may contain situations of danger, discomfort, psychological or physical terror. Sufferers usually awaken in a state of distress and may be unable to return to sleep for a prolonged period of time.

     According to an article which I read months ago and was
reviewed by Mary L. Gavin, MD last September 2009, “stressful things that happen during the day can turn dreams into nightmares. Nightmares may be a way to relieve the pressures of the day. This usually means dealing with things most kids have to face at one time or another: problems at home, problems at school, and stress from sports or schoolwork. Sometimes major changes, such as moving or the illness or death of a loved one, can cause stress that leads to nightmares. But sometimes you might have a nightmare for no reason at all.”

Here are some suggestions on how you can prevent nightmares:
Get into a healthy sleep routine.
Sleep with a stuffed toy or favorite blanket.
Use a nightlight
Keep your door open.
     I know nightmares are scary. The suggestions above may help you feel comfortable and secure while you sleep.  Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails